We would love to hear from you. Please complete the form below and we will aim to respond wthin 48 hours.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your email address

23 Dec 2018

22/12/2018 - 1st XV vs Bury St Edmunds

National League 2 South

- 22/12/18

Bury St Edmunds



First XV

  • match report
  • league

Well it was in many ways a rousing pre-Xmas jaunt but it will have left Gavin Hogg’s men somewhat short on seasonal bonhomie. Once again short in various departments Albanians looked to be doing enough to control this fixture only to see it snatched from their hands with the last kick of the game. Thoughts of the fat lady and whether it’s all over or not are perhaps unkind at this time of year.

A somewhat tentative opening phase saw the hosts into the lead after ten minutes when Fin Sharpe found space on the left. Seven points adrift OAs fought to get themselves a foothold and Watt’s penalty found the spot six minutes later. Further Albanian pressure gained possession and position before a somewhat aimless Bury clearance kick went only as far as flyer Lloyd Anderson. All he left behind was a vapour trail!

The process continued as the visitors continued edging tight play and were not found wanting in broken field, so much so that Alex Ricci was one of several who waited in line for the clever cross kick just on the break. Watt’s conversion was a joy to behold.

The third quarter was not a happy time for OAs who first of all allowed Dave Coutts to charge over off the back of a well-executed maul for a converted try. Then lock Will Scholes was ushered to the line from fully forty metres for the try which, with the conversion, took Bury to a 21-15 lead with twenty to go.

Counter attacking once more the powerful Albanian scrum took possession inside the Bury 22. Chris West drove for the line and, with his route blocked, he delivered an inch perfect pass to Anderson who dotted down by the flag. Watt’s magnificent conversion gave his side the lead once more and silenced the roisterous crowd.

All OAs had to do was run the clock down for two minutes and it is more dangerous to attempt this deep in your own half than the other side of half way. A minute remained when the referee raised his hand in favour of Bury and fly half Cam Ritchie had the daunting task of a forty metre kick to win the match. Ritchie’s nerve held!

Here’s to the Xmas break and may we wish you all a great Xmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year. Barnes visit Woollams first Saturday in January. Kickoff 15.00hrs.

Team – Morgan, White Martinez, Chamnaoui, Hamilton (c), Bond, Illston, Scopes, West, Calder, Starling, Warne, Watt, Watson, Anderson, Ricci
Subs – Townsend, Forrest, West, Hill, Holdsworth, Lewis, Bond

Please click here to look back at the match programme

Gavin Hogg,

Head Coach

First XV
Email Facebook Twitter

First XV



Bury St Edmunds

National League 2 South


First XV



Bury St Edmunds

National League 2 South


Bury St Edmunds

First XV




Saturday 22 Dec 18

National League 2 South

Man of the match:


First XV







old albanians



at Old Albanians