Over the last 10-15 years, OAs has risen up to the National Leagues, grown the junior section of the club to nearly 1,000 players and has a thriving Ladies section. We are now looking to maximise these successes for the benefit of the players and the future of the club.
We’re delighted to have been able to bring together dedicated team, led by Eddie Panting, to focus on the squad and its players. The coaching team will be supported by a number of specialist guest coaches from our 1st XV and beyond, S&C and medical staff.
Our Academy will focus on providing an additional development route and support for those who become part of it, with the ambition that when they progress beyond the Academy they are pushing towards being able to play at a National League standard club and beyond.
Through the Academy we will be delivering:
- Regular training sessions based primarily from our home ground at Woollam’s, St Albans, Herts, but also from other local top class facilities to provide a range of experiences for our players.
- Matches throughout the year, against a range of opposition including local and representative sides aimed at ensuring good competition for all players within the Academy, whether they’re just starting out at 17, or about to move fully into senior rugby at 23.
- A training camp where the players will be able to spend a day or two with our team and guests working on a range of areas on and off the field.
- Additional development support off the field and away from the Academy, whether that’s S&C advice or areas of focus for skill development.
- Medical advice, both on rehab and as importantly on injury prevention.
- Opportunities to spend time with players from our 1st XV to learn from their experience.
- Opportunities to be part of the 1st XV match day, accompanying the squad to matches, being part of the preparation and within the team environment during the matches.
We also recognise that while some will be in full time education, or away at university, many others maybe in or looking to move into work. As with the senior club at Old Albanians we’ll also do all we can to support our players with business contacts, career advice, interview and CV preparation and more.
The Academy was launched in September and we’re expecting to hold our first training session on Monday 1st October.
If you’re aged 17 to 23 and interested in getting involved, whether you’re in the area, at university, play for OAs already or for another club, get in touch – firstname.lastname@example.org.