Firstly a massive thank you to all who have helped and contributed so far this season – without the support of the parents it would be impossible to run the club as we do. A special thanks you to the coaches and admin team who all give up not an insignificant amount of time to help.
Here’s a round-up of the season so far for our U7s:
Training started in earnest in September with over 65 children registered it was really pleasing to see the progression many of the children had made since last year over the summer.
Our only festival was the Double Header down at Richmond College hosted by Saracens (but controlled by Rosslyn Park as we later found out to our detriment but enough said!!). A great day out – kids behaved impeccably, parents mostly so!!
OCTOBER & NOVEMBER
The start of fixtures and festivals was a baptism of fire for both the children and coaches alike. For me in particular Teamer proved and is still proving a challenge but we were in general where we were supposed to be and on time which was a result in itself. A quick round up of the festivals fixtures in October:
Bedford – Lucy Still and I took two teams up to Bedford, super weather and all of the children had a lot of fun. Organised well although it did drag on a bit.
Windsor – Charlie Rickett took a squad went down to the Windsor ‘A’ festival and the kids enjoyed themselves although general feedback was that the admin part of the tournament was not that well organised.
Maidenhead – Charlie took a squad down to this festival the boys did brilliantly and had a lot of fun resulting in our first silverware of the year.
Bishops Stortford ‘Dev’ – Stuart Booy took 3 teams to this Saturday festival, fantastic feedback and performances resulting in the guys coming back with another cup.
Bishops Stortford ‘A’ – Charlie and Lucy took two teams and both excelled and were unbeaten throughout. The boys were really proud to come back with medals and a trophy.
Amersham ‘Dev’ – Stuart took two teams to Amersham for a genuine Dev festival, many players who had not had exposure to competitive rugby got their first taste and did the club proud with excellent performances.
Datchworth – were our guests for a Sunday session we trained hard and played some excellent games a great day was had by all.
Bishops Stortford – 40 plus parents travelled up to a morning with the Bishops Stortford boys. Some great fun and rugby for 45 mins but unfortunately the heavens opened and for safety reasons we had to abandon.
Ampthill – were our guests and we had 5 pitches constantly playing some great rugby weather was so nice we carried on till 12.
Lots more rugby to come with some great fixtures at clubs like Marlow, Ruislip, Fullerians and Tring before the end of the year and many more in the new year.
Thanks again for all of your support and remember please feel free to approach me if you want to give any feedback or to help out (we need more coaches!).
A FEW POINTS TO REITERATE…
- Your child’s safety is paramount for that reason can I remind you that a parent or nominated guardian is required to be pitch side at all times, training or fixtures. There have been a couple of incidents recently where we have been looking for parents who have gone to another age group or off site without informing anyone.
- As weather gets colder, please remember to provide adequate clothing including a dry change, as this year we will continue to play in mild rain.
- Boots should be worn by all boys, please make sure they fit properly and have the correct studs. Soccer boots with the little metal studs are not to be worn.
- Water – please make sure all children have drinks (btw we have a rather large collection of left water bottles).
- Litter – please make sure you take all litter with you, there have been a number of instances of cups etc being left.
Steve Dorey, Head Coach, u7s